Saturday, December 20, 2008

Divine Disruptions

I am sitting in my living room, unshaven and drinking a good cup of coffee, watching the snow blowing sideways outside my window. The fireplace is roaring and I'm listening to my favorite Christmas CD while my dog lays at my feet looking at me like I'm important. Yet, in this serene setting, I am feeling frustrated. The wrong emotion for this peaceful environment.

The reason for the frustration? I have to make a decision in a few hours...should we cancel services tomorrow? My decision is affected by the hopes and plans that I had for our times of gathering this month. We planned and prepared for a great month of focused worship, teaching and sacrificial/missional giving.

When you have a church our size, you don't make plans flying by the seat of your pants. When so many people need communication, coordination and preparation, you have to be way out in front in your planning. For us, Christmas gets pretty well planned out by early fall with some tweaking along the way to Dec. We pray, brainstorm, decide and execute the plan.

We thought our Christmas plan was a good one, but more than that, we thought it was a divinely inspired one. We still do. However, God had another part of the plan in mind that He chose not to reveal to us earlier -- a weather disruption.

What are our options when our plans are disrupted? Whenever we have a disruption, I find encouragement from one of my life verses found in Proverbs 16:9

"In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps."

The Lord directs our steps. We make plans prayerfully and then walk them out daily as the Lord leads. Today, I'm choosing to settle down and relax, to enjoy this divine interuption to my plans of how I thought things would go and should go. God knew in advance that two of our Sunday services this month would get disrupted. He knew that our normal financial life as a church would get disrupted. He knew that our well laid plans of school, work, recreation etc. would get disrupted.

How ironic that I would be whining about weather dis-ruptions at Christmas when the nativity set in my living room reminds me that the story of Christmas is about disruption.

Has anyone experienced more disruption than Mary and Joseph? Being a virgin who is suddenly expecting a child is a disruption. Being engaged to someone you love who 'breaks' this bizarre news of divine conception to you is a disruption. Having to flee to a foriegn country for a few years because a crazed political ruler is killing infant boys in your town is a disruption. The Shepherds were disrupted, the Magi were disrupted, the Heavens were disrupted...normal plans and routines disrupted because God is doing something great.

If God is allowing this disruption, then I need to remember that in times of disruption:

1. God gets our attention -- When our plans are disrupted we usually have to slow down and even stop. We have to look and listen a little more carefully. Maybe we are heading to the right destination but taking the wrong road to get there? What needs adjusting, what needs to be reprioritized in my life?

2. God is usually doing something bigger than I know. I tend to view things through the lens of my own experience or 'how is this affecting me?' The Bible is filled with stories like Joseph, Abraham, Paul etc. who were disrupted so that salvation could be brought to families and nations. 'God, what are you doing and how can I fit in with your plan?'

3. God is sovereign. You and I run the risk of thinking that God is here to do our bidding. He is not our servant, we are His. Mary said 'be it unto me as you have said.' In the end 'God is God' and I align and adjust to His ways and thoughts. My sovereign God can easily be 'my own understanding' if I am not careful.

So, as I type this blog post, I'm focusing more on the nativity and I hope you will do the same as we rest in Him and trust in Him with all of our hearts.
After all, His Word tells us that "if you will trust in the Lord with all of your hearts and lean not to your own understanding, acknowledge Him in all your ways and HE WILL direct your paths."

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for a wonderful perspective...and even if church services need to be cancelled, that will be fine. Your blog reminded me that God spares no expense when it comes to accomplishing His purposes :) Avery

Anonymous said...

Amen, pastor! -Steve

Debi said...

Pastor Randy,
My prayers are with you as you and your team make the decision for church or no church tomorrow. The snowy weather really reminds us of who is in control. It has forced me to slow down a little and focus on the eternal and God's grace that covers our lives. We take so much for granted to be able to jump in our car and go when we feel like it.
I know God's plans are always best and am getting faster at remembering this when "incovenienced".
I hope you don't mind that I shared your 4 points with my sister and family who are stuck in Edmonton, Alberta Canada with a truck that suddenly stopped running on their way from Arizona to Wasilla, Alaska where another sister lives.
God has His way in the whirlwind and the storm.
Trusting God's goodness on the way.
Debi Hamari

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the comments! It is always good to hear what God is teaching us when we are forced to take a 'sabbatical.'

Anonymous said...

This is a good reminder of the one who is the true DIrector!

Anonymous said...

Hi Pastor,

I was just ready to write to you and tell you that we really appreciate you and the fact that you are so faithful to seek God's will when making a decision. We wanted you to know that we customarily greet every Sunday, but
had decided that we would not be
attending tomorrow because we are
in our 70's, have no chains, and
felt we needed to stay warm and safe since it is supposed to be very slippery. We've now noticed that you have canceled services.
Let's pray for warmer temps for
our Christmas services. We enjoy
reading your blogs. Bless you.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your blog! That was awesome! And thank you for all you guys do!! :) Matt, Jenny, Emma, Ethan and Luke Unruh

Carolyn Foster said...

Randy,
I'm sitting here at home ready to pull my hair out. To say we're experiencing 'cabin fever' is an understatement. Your entry reminded me to embrace the moment. Relax and look at the broader perspective.

Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Pastor Randy:
As a businessman all my life, I appreciate the "work" that goes into these types of decisions. Not only the logistics, personnel,facilities & safety aspects but the spiritual as well. I Trust that God is directing our Church leadership and thankfully for your and your staff Leadership & direction. God revelation is all this disruption will be a joy to see.
God Bless you and your staff,
R. G. Woolley

Anonymous said...

Thank you Pastor Randy for sharing your thoughts and challenges.It is amazing how God prepares us for what is to happen. Who knew in this season families would have to practice what they have been learning through Faith At home. God is with us wherever we are, and as each of us evaluates if they can make it to church today, don't forget the one we corporately come together to worship.Remember we have an audience of one and today it may be just your family, or just you with God, praising him For the Most Extravagant gift of all JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD AND SAVOIR. The LORD came and did not wait for the perfect room. Let us praise and adore him where we will be today! Amen

Anna

Isaac said...

Pastor Randy,

Thank you for this post - I needed to read these words after the snow and ice has kept my family and I from joining together with my parents and siblings for Christmas.

We have felt cabin fevered and restless. Due to school cancellations and the snow keeping us inside more, I have been sorely pressed to find quiet time (the natives are restless!)to reflect on this last year and what Jesus is leading me towards next year. Your words have helped me to remember that God is in control.

Thank you - may God bless you and your family.

Isaac Hovet
Evergreen Christian Center